Sunday, June 15, 2014

Wedded Bliss

My sister asked me if I could make some beer for her wedding that they could use as favor's on the tables, as I loved brewing I thought this would be an awesome idea.  I decided, given it would be a summer wedding, to do a summer like brew.  Not wanting to try something new and potentially have it be horrible for their day, I reviewed my list of beers that I'd done in the past to decided on something that the average person would like (I reviewed it with my wife as she's likes darker beers or lighter less hoppy one's).



Beer selected, I had to get a final head count - my sister told me to plan on 150, though it would probably be closer to 125.  Knowing this would mean brewing 15 gallons and that I only had a 5 gallon setup, I calculated how long before the wedding day I'd have to start in order to have it properly bottle aged.  Data and recipe in hand, I headed out to my local home brew store (HopTech) and picked up my ingredients as well as the 6 cases of 12oz bottles.   Over the course of 6 weeks I was at it either brewing, lagering or bottling and in some cases doing all of the above.  I and a buddy tasted 2 bottles from the first batch after they had aged 4 weeks just to make it turned out, no problems and it looking good for the wedding.

Normally when I give away bottles I'm do so in a 22oz, labeling it with a custom design; however, for this one my wife got professionally printed labels in the color, design of my sister's wedding.  The final product looks great and in my opinion will make a fine favor.

The wedding is next weekend, I'll update this post after with all the glorious details of the beer ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment